It's official. My husband and Friend M. are planning the first ever (well, maybe...I suppose I'm not 100% on that fact) Bakersfield Homeschool Conference. How in the world did this come about? Let me give you the short version.
Back in January, we attended a Winter Encouragement Seminar in Visalia. It was a modest little event, and we loved it. We went with our friends, M. and L., and had a great time. We women spent the drive home talking about how encouraged we were. The men, on the other hand, decided that they could plan a conference, too, only closer to home.
By the time we arrived back in our own town, they had mapped out an entire conference. All they needed were details like a location, a date, speakers, and so on.
Well, now that the details are rolling in, I thought I'd offer them here. I know there are a number of Central Californians reading this blog, and so this will give you the chance to mark your calendar now.
Here're the details:
- The Where/What/When: The 2011 Bakersfield Homeschool Conference will take place on Saturday, July 9, 2011 at Calvary Bible Church.
- Cost: We're looking at $15 per family for early bird preregistration. I'll let you know for sure when all the details are ironed out.
- Can I preregister now? No, because that requires a level of PayPal mastery to which I have not yet attained. But we'll let you know when that changes!
- Who is this for? This is not just for homeschoolers, but for folks considering homeschooling, or folks who have preschool-aged children and have yet to decide what they are going to do for them.
- Who are the speakers? All of the speakers are from the Central Valley (many of them are from Bakersfield herself), and they will be covering topics like:
- biblical basis for homeschooling
- cultivating peace in your home
- the nature of a child
- creative teaching ideas
- the freedom spectrum: public school to homeschool
- maintaining simplicity
- and more!
- Why should I come? Why travel out of town when so much experience and wisdom is available right here? Don't miss the 2011 Bakersfield Homeschool Conference on July 9!
- My husband says: "My hope is that this conference convinces the fence-sitters, inspires the discouraged and supports the parent who feels alone."
**Update: Click here for the website for the Bakersfield Home Education Conference.**